A few years back we had some poppies appear in our back yard. It was an area we hadn't been using so we let them grow and bloom. The next summer we had a glorious poppy field. I took several photographs and have played with the colors, but never quite got the results I wanted. The colors were off, or the shapes were not quite right. Over the last couple of weeks I have tried again to get it right. The paintings above are 2 of my better results. I am still working on it but I feel I am getting closer. In the painting on the left, I used contact paper over the drawing on watercolor paper. In this process, I cut away the contact paper over the petals as I worked painting on petal at a time. As each petal dried I cut away the contact paper from another petal. It enabled me to paint more freely letting the paint flow an mix with out the worry of staying within the lines. It was free and controlled at the same time. After the flowers completly dried, contact paper was reapplied over the flowers and cut away so only the painted portion was covered. I uses masking fluid on the stems, seed pods and grasses. Using a larger flat brush, I painted awash over the background. I was fun to splash on color and not worry about the details. When the background dried I removed the contact paper and the masking fluid, and completed the painting.